Wednesday, January 25, 2012

School Resumes, Birds, Training, etc.

Don't miss the 'Girls Dance' video (at right)!

My students watching a movie I showed them on my laptop about deaf American performers called "See What I'm Saying."
Powerful Peace Corps moment.

see my tiny laptop?

You can laugh, but the water sachet pom pom project was a big hit with the P4-P6 classes.



finished pom pom

Yes, that's a sprig of cilantro on the right--the only one I've seen so far, and I'm sure it will die soon.

Abyssinian Roller



sheep taking a break from the heat

We rode our bikes to Adayilli, a fishing village along the White Volta River. This is the fish market.

They're called grasscutters, but they look like big rats.

toward Adayilli

cattle drive

children of Adayilli, coming to meet us

seriously out in the middle of nowhere

White Volta River



Savelugu School for the Deaf girls ready to play soccer

morning soccer match

Abyssinian Roller
(I thought I was going to name my first-born child 'bearded barbet,' but now I'm thinking 'Abyssinian Roller.'

lentil burger with cheese (made by me!)

Woodcarving demo during In-Sevice training in Kumasi. This is an Ashanti doll in progress.



That's a big tool for a small job.

Machete carving

finished product on right



to fire the clay bowls

preparing to fire clay bowls

finishing touches on the clay bowls (mortars); polishing with a stone







kneading the clay

Mary and Joe Bee from the left, the two Education Coordinators/Directors for PC

pottery ladies

kiln being opened after firing

My newest 'counterpart,' Rosarius, who accompanied me to the training event in Kumasi. He's the Primary 5 teacher at my school.

Just your normal bush fire, nothing to get excited about.




The dust that accumulates inside my house in one week, swept into a pile.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post!

    Tiny laptop picture helps put my classroom struggles in perspective. My fellow teachers and I complain about having 12 kids around one IMAC.

    Sigh.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I share your incredible posts, everyone comments that you look shining and happy. We are all inspired and intrigued by your adventure. Plastic pompoms are cool. The carvings and claypots demonstrate being able to get beauty and purpose with simple time-proven methods.

    Abyssinian Roller will be a very fortunate child.
    The world is a better place because you are glowing, Great Kate. Love and care and smiles abound towards you.

    Meow,
    S

    ReplyDelete