Monday, April 29, 2013

Recent Happenings

These are just a few more photos to bring you up to date with what I've been doing in Ghana.  I'll see you all in July back in the states!


This is my Ghanaian family, my neighbors, all really wonderful people who I will miss greatly when I leave Ghana. They looked so beautiful dressed for church that I had to take a photo with them. In fact, this is only half of their families; Mary to my right has four children (one missing), and Monica on the far left has five (three missing).  Plus all the other people who live next to me----grand total of about 17 people in one compound. And then there's me, living alone next door in a two bedroom house.  Ah, the perks of being a foreigner.


This is Jessie playing in the clothes washing tub.  She is really shy and gets this pout on her face every time I try to take a photo.


A woman at the market holding up a good find from the clothes pile. I have a great video walking through Savelugu Market, but I'm having a hard time uploading it.  I'll post it on this blog if I'm ever successful.


.  


The students need to know this for their exams, so I painted it on the wall.


Bash showing off the Ghana flag mango seeds he made.


Yay!  End of term chaos in the art classroom!  When the teachers stop teaching, all the students come to my room, and without a good door it's impossible to keep them out.


So, I started a poultry farm at my school to provide the students with supplemental protein in the form of eggs. There are 500 birds.  They were really cute for the first couple of weeks, and now they are just smelly. 





I know it doesn't look like 500, but we counted every one, and there's actually more than 500.  





This is the exterior of one of the poultry farm buildings.  Not so beautiful, but it gets the job done. When the birds get bigger, they will be moved here.



My end of term review game.


Some recent colorful projects.


Mark made an improvised grill in between two trees and some sticks over several coal pots.  He was very proud of himself.  His assistant is one of his students.


Following the HIV Awareness Week competition, we painted a mural copied from the flag that won first place.


My assistants---they are so skilled I really don't have to do anything any more. I helped them with the layout/spacing because measuring is their weakness.


My mom wanted to know what my 'bathroom' in Ghana looks like.  Here ya go.


Yes, my bathroom is a latrine----with baby goats and sometimes chickens.



Fish kites!


Wax drip----the students loved this project and made a huge mess.





3-d names


Mohammed made himself a watch.


And then he made himself a hat to go with the new pencil case he sewed.  


Akiwele working on her warm and cool colors fan.




No comments:

Post a Comment