Tuesday, July 16, 2013

And so it ends...

Well, there it is, folks.  The end of my service.  I now sit in Accra completing my final paperwork before I fly out on Wednesday night. My last day at site was a wonderful, sad, and exhilarating day filled with tearful goodbyes and heartfelt words of praise for the work I've done at my school.  I will miss my students dearly, and I know that they were distraught at my departure; they have truly changed my life, and I am incredibly greatful for having the honor to teach them every day. I wish they could know how much they mean to me, and how much they have given me. 
During the last week, I gave my best student a phone that I'd never used, and he's been texting me every day since I left.  I told him that we can write each other when I'm back in the U.S., but it's still hard to leave him (and all of them) behind, knowing how difficult it will be to keep in contact.  Thankfully, I have a new volunteer at my site, Dana, who will carry the torch, and I know she will be great, and I have no doubt she'll love SAVEDEAF as much as I did.
Thank you, Ghana.

We visited Boti Falls while I was training the new group of education volunteers. Training was great, and I really saw how far I've come with my sign language, and with my teaching skills.  Observing the new trainees teaching also made me very conscious of the way that I teach, and how I can become a better teacher.






Mark's rabbits had 7 babies!!!  And now all 10 rabbits are living happliy with his student's family in a brand-new hutch.







Last days of classes at SAVEDEAF.  Leaf drawings.

The students became very anxious during my last days at site, and they were all crowded in my room, hanging around, asking me when I was leaving. 


My neighbors kids: Millie, Lucy, Mary, David, Bernice, and Lydia. 



My neighbor teacher friend, Ejom.


Kwabena, my star student, and Mark


Little Hamza, on the left, is my special helper in class---he'll do anything for me, and hangs at my feet waiting to help.  I will miss him so!!









They get SO excited about the camera!

Can I take them all home with me, please?


My poultry farm is doing well!  The birds are a few weeks from laying eggs.










My student, Bash, drew this of me.


Arahamatu, another star student, and such a great personality.







Oh my! My replacement, Dana, looks just like me!  My community won't know I've left.  This photo is with our counterpart on my last day in the village.


Most of the teachers posing after my send-off party.


My neighbors on my last night in my house: Jessica, Monica, and Jennifer.


Mark and I visited Joe Bee, my former program director, and he made us wonderful food...and smoothies! A terrific man, and one of the best Ghanaians I've met. 


2 comments:

  1. very touching, Kate, we will be glad to have you back in the states. - Sara H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of leaving all over again. So glad you were placed at SAVE DEAF can't wait to meet you in Bmore soon!

    ReplyDelete