Saturday, June 18, 2011

Koforidua School for the Deaf

Deaf Art Class

women's work

praying mantis

amazing head-carrying

Today was a big day---my fellow art ed volunteers and I went to a nearby school for the deaf to observe experienced teachers in the classroom. Within moments of arriving, we were surrounded by students who wanted to know our sign names. After watching the opening assembly and receiving some greetings and introductions (Ghanaians are BIG on formalities), we observed a Ghanaian teacher and a current art ed volunteer teach a lesson to a grade school classroom, and in the afternoon, I taught a short lesson myself. Scary! The students are wonderful--warm and friendly and helpful, but there is SO MUCH that I still have to learn about how to convey a lesson without words. In my own teaching session today, I was very animated, capturing the students' attention in various ways, with lots of movement, trying to demonstrate ideas. I have no idea if they really understood my concept, but I found that they are already quite good at drawing from lessons with their primary teacher. Teaching deaf students to make things, to be creative, is incredibly challenging.
Next week, we will return to the Koforidua School for the Deaf, and I will teach 2 classes a day for two weeks. I have to come up with my own lesson plans, and try to gather supplies with some Peace Corps money. This is the ultimate crash course immersion training, especially since we have yet to learn any sign language apart from what I already know. There are noticable differences beween Ghanaian Sign Language and American Sign Language, but much of it is the same. I think I have an idea for some projects that might work with the students, but this is all a big experiment so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment