Monday, July 11, 2011

Bead Making, Kente, Hohoe, etc.

So, the art group is currently in Hohoe, in the Volta region, being hosted by a wonderful Ghanaian family who is spoiling us royally with fabulous food, great accommodations, and nightly dance sessions. A current volunteer at Volta School for the Deaf, Scott, has facilitated our week of off-site language training, where we will be able to interact with his students and practice signing with them. Scott is a Peace Corps super star, a model for us all, having done great things with his students over the past two years. Below are some images of what I've seen so far.


kente made by students at Volta School for the Deaf


kente


duvet made from left-over batik ($55)


duvet made from left-over batik fabric


kente by the students at Volta School for the Deaf


kente!!!




kente weaving operation at Volta School for the Deaf


kente weaving


kente looms


waiting for the tro in Koforidua for 3 hours


waiting for the tro to leave



Koforidua Sunday clothing market


bridge on the way to Volta


over the bridge, out the window


the road to Hohoe with me in the bitch seat of the tro (I think I got more exercise than I have since I got to Ghana, clenching my muscles for four hours, trying to stay upright in my seat.)


more fufu pounding in Hohoe with Promise (our host)


Staging photo in Washington D.C. with the PC director (back when we were all so clean and green)


art girls in the urinal

A couple days ago, the art education group took a field trip for technical training to a site where glass beads are made. It’s an incredible process to watch—seemingly quite simple when done with speed and proficiency by master craftsmen. It's possible that I could start this sort of program at my school, particularly if I applied for a grant through Peace Corps or an NGO.



bead makers


crushing the recycled glass


poking holes in the beads, fresh out of the fire




filling the molds with crushed glass


flaming hot


polishing the beads with sand and water


feeding wood into the clay kiln


finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment